At Bright Sparks, we follow the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS 2017) for children from birth to five as set out by the Department for Education. The EYFS sets the standards that all early years providers must meet to ensure that children learn and develop well and are kept healthy and safe. The EYFS is based around 4 guiding principles:
- Every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident & self-assured.
- Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships.
- Children learn and develop well in enabling environments, in which their experiences respond to their individual needs and there is a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or carers.
- Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates.
There are 7 Areas of Learning and Development: all of which are important and interconnected and these are divided into prime and specific areas.
The 3 prime areas (ie those considered crucial for igniting children’s curiosity and enthusiasm for learning) are:
- Communication and language
- Physical development
- Personal, social and emotional development
The 4 specific areas (through which the 3 prime areas are strengthened & applied) are:
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design